Earlier this month, SpotboyE.com announced its annual
awards – SpotboyE Salaams, which aims to applaud the best in the industry
without the pressure of TRPs and star performances.
Dangal, starring Aamir Khan, Sakshi Tanwar, Fatima Sana Shaikh and Sanya Malhotra won the SpotboyE Salaam Award for the Best Film. The project, which released on December 23, 2016, remains unstoppable till date. It has managed to strike a chord with viewers and is still running to packed houses across the country.
The biographical sports drama, directed by Nitesh Tiwari, tells the tale of Mahavir Singh Phogat (essayed by Aamir) who trains his daughters Geeta Phogat (Fatima Sana Shaikh) and Babita Kumari (Sanya Malhotra) in wrestling. The sisters go on to achieve firsts for Indianwrestling at the Commonwealth and Olympic Games.
Sharp direction coupled with nuanced performances made Dangal one of the most memorable films of all time.
SpotboyE.com lists down the several records the film broke at the box-office:
1. It earned more money than any other film in its opening weekend
#Dangal has an INCREDIBLE Mon... Fri 29.78 cr, Sat 34.82 cr, Sun 42.35 cr, Mon 25.48 cr. Total: ₹ 132.43 cr. India biz. FABULOUS!— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) December 27, 2016
Dangal, Aamir broke the record of his own movie, PK
The wrestling film is the highest grossing Bollywood film of all time, a record held by Aamir’s last release, PK. A whopping Rs 304.38 cr is what Aamir’s magnum opus had made at the box-office in 2 weeks. Rajkumar Hirani’s PK crossed this mark in 17 days, but Dangal took just 13 days, thereby setting a new record!
#Dangal milestones...— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) January 4, 2017
Crossed ₹ 50 cr - Day 2
₹ 100 cr - Day 3
₹ 150 cr - Day 5
₹ 200 cr - Day 8
₹ 250 cr - Day 10
₹ 300 cr - Day 13
3. Aamir’s Dangal also surpassed
Salman Khan’s Sultan’s collection in 13 days!
Dangal also surpassed the lifetime collection of Salman’s Sultan which made Rs 300.45 crore at the domestic box-office. It has also become the first ever Bollywood film to achieve the Rs 300 cr mark in 13 days.
4. Highest opening in Australia
According to veteran trade analyst Komal Nahta, Dangal earned Rs. 1.23 crore on its release day, the highest for any Hindi film.
#Dangal opened to packed houses in Australia (USD 181K), making it the highest opening for any Hindi film ever in Australia!!!— Komal Nahta (@KomalNahta) December 24, 2016
As of January 18, Dangal has collected Rs 196.81 crore in
the international market. It has performed best in the United States.
#Dangal - OVERSEAS - Till 18 Jan: $ 28.83 million [₹ 196.81 cr]... Best in USA-Canada [$ 11.98 mn], UAE-GCC [$ 8.25 mn], UK [$ 3.95 mn].— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) January 19, 2017
1. After gaining 28 kg. for the initial shoot, Aamir Khan lost 25 kg. in 20 weeks to portray the younger(25 years old) character of Mahavir Singh Phogat.
2. Dangal was made tax-free in three Indian states (Uttar Pardesh, Haryana and Uttarakhand). to promote the campaign called Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao. The campaign is a social initiative that aims to reduce selective abortion of females, to protect girls, and to educate them.
3. Kripa Shankar Bishnoi, a coach with the Indian women's wrestling team, trained Aamir Khan and the entire crew for the wrestling sequences.
4. Aamir bagged the Filmfare Award after 15 years for Dangal this year. His last Filmfare Award was for Lagaan (2002).
Kudos Dangal! Salaam!!
Image Source: youtube/UTVMotionPictures