Irrfan Khan has been a part of Bollywood since late 1980s, but he gained recognition only around 2003, when Tigmanshu Dhulia’s Haasil (2003) and Vishal Bhardwaj’s Maqbool (2004) changed the game for him.
Since then, he has cast his spell even on Hollywood. The last couple of years has been really good for Irrfan. Haider, Piku, Jurassic World, Jazbaa, Talvar -- not only was his performance applauded in these films, they also did well at the box-office. On his birthday today, we bring you some unknown facts about the actor. Here we go…
1. Irrfan Khan’s real name is Sahabzaade Irfan Ali Khan.
2. He added an extra ‘R’ to his name just because, well, he loved the way it sounded.
3. He was one of the most prolific actors to have passed out from the prestigious NSD (National School Of Drama). But did you know, he lied about having prior theatre experience, just to get admission to NSD!
4. His parents didn’t want him to become an actor. His father wanted him to join their family business of tyres, while his mother wanted him to become a professor.
5. His first film was Mira Nair’s Salaam Bombay (1988), but his role was chopped completely from the final cut of the movie.
6. He acted in television show Banegi Apni Baat (1993-97) for over 200 episodes.
7. He was so bored of television, he decided to quit acting altogether. But Asif Kapadia’s film Warrior (2001) reignited the flame of acting inside him.
8. Irrfan may be a famous name in Hollywood now, but it was British-Indian filmmaker Kapadia’s Warrior that first gave him this exposure.
9. His name coincides with that of a terrorist and so, he has been stopped at the Los Angeles airport a couple of times. But they don’t do that anymore, because they recognise him now.
10. He was offered Matt Damon’s role in Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar (2014), but he turned it down as it required him to stay in the US for four months at a go. He had already allotted those days to The Lunchbox and D-Day, and he didn’t want to turn back on his commitment.
SpotboyE wishes Irrfan “A Very Happy Birthday”.
Thumbnail Image Source: