Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam has earned an iconic, cult classic status for years now. The Salman Khan-Aishwarya Rai Bachchan-Ajay Devgn starrer has been loved by millions across the globe over the years. The story of sacrifice, passion, love and letting go has been winning hearts even after 22 years of its release. On this occasion, we give you 7 unknown facts about this Sanjay Leela Bhansali directed labour of love.
1. The story of a man who won’t consummate his marriage with his bride and would rather find his wife’s lover whom she can’t stop loving even after marriage to another man, had echoes of Mani Ratnam’s Moun Ragam. But the story and treatment were completely different.
2. Salman Khan and Aishwarya Rai met and fell in love with the sets of this film. Their real-life bonding made their romantic scenes look undeniably authentic. It was very difficult to say where Salman and Aishwarya ended and Sameer and Nandini began. Salman played Sameer a visiting student from Italy who comes to India to learn music from Nandini's father played by the awe-inspiring Vikram Gokhale.
3. The film became one of the top grossers of 1999 sharing box office benefits with Sooraj Barjatya’s Hum Saath Saath Hai. This too starred Salman Khan. Salman was extremely close to both the directors. He had a fall-out with Bhansali some years ago.
4. Salman was not happy with the ending of Hum …Dil De Chuke Sanam. He thought Aishwarya’s character should come away with him at the end. And not go back to her husband played by Ajay Devgan. To convince Bhansali Sanjay brought Barjatya for a meeting. Bhansali heard Barjatya out. And stuck to his ending.
5. Salman and his foster-mother Helen reunited for the second time on screen. In Bhansali’s debut film Khamoshi: The Musical Helen had no scenes with Salman Khan. In Hum Dil… she played his mother for the first and last time. Thereafter they decided to not come together again.
6. In the film Salman’s hometown is supposed to be in Italy. However, the producers couldn’t afford to shoot in Italy. So Prague masqueraded as an Italian town since the landscape in both countries is similar.
7. Aishwarya Rai’s look in the second half was modelled on Vyjayanthimala in Raj Kapoor’s Sangam where, it may be recalled, the wife takes off on a honeymoon and her lover follows the couple to their honeymoon destination. Here the newly married couple pretends to go on its honeymoon and searches for her lover.
Image source: IMDb, Youtube/Erosnowmusic/lehrenretro