Oscars 2022 has gone down in the pages of history for unusually shocking reasons. In a rather shocking turn of events, Will Smith lost his cool over a joke made by presenter Chris Rock. The ‘King Richard’ actor slapped the comedian on stage during the ceremony, leaving everyone stunned.
While it was previously revealed that the comedian had declined to press charges to file a police report following an altercation with Will Smith at the 94th Academy Awards.
Now, a recent DailyMail report suggests that the Los Angeles police department were prepared to arrest Will Smith after he slapped Chris Rock, but didn’t, at the request of the comedian, the show's producer alleged.
In a preview clip for his upcoming interview with Good Morning America, Oscars producer Will Packer claims police told Rock they would remove Smith from the audience and arrest him for battery.
“We will go get him, we are prepared to get him right now,” the cops said to Rock, Packer recalled. “You can press charges. We can arrest him.” Packer claimed Rock was dismissive towards police, but he encouraged the comedian to hear them out before making a decision.
“They were laying out the options, and as they were talking, Chris was being very dismissive of those options. He was like, ‘No, I'm fine.’ He was like, ‘No, no, no,’” the producer said.
Well, in the end, Rock decided not to press charges, however, police said in a statement Sunday 'if the involved party desires a police report at a later date, LAPD will be available to complete an investigative report.'
However, Smith - who was presented with his first Academy Award after the onstage attack - will face 'disciplinary proceedings' with Oscars officials that could result in suspension, expulsion, or other sanctions.
“Consistent with the Academy’s Standards of Conduct, as well as California law, Mr. Smith is being provided at least 15 days’ notice of a vote regarding his violations and sanctions, and the opportunity to be heard beforehand by means of a written response,” the Academy said in a statement Wednesday.
The Sun report quoted a source who said, Smith and his lawyers are writing to the Academy to plead his case ahead of his upcoming hearing on April 18.
“Things are hanging in the balance. He will write an official letter to apologize, and effectively beg for their forgiveness,' the source said. 'He is also expected to hold a call with show bosses in the next 24 hours. April 18 is D-Day, though — he will find out if he still has an Oscar, and quite possibly, a career.”
Image Source: Instagram