DEADLY TikTok Challenge ‘Dragon’s Breath Snack’ Goes VIRAL! Indonesian Govt Issues WARNING-DETAILS BELOW!

Indonesia is currently warning the people against the consumption of liquid nitrogen after the hospitalization of children

3456 Reads |  

DEADLY TikTok Challenge ‘Dragon’s Breath Snack’ Goes VIRAL! Indonesian Govt Issues WARNING-DETAILS BELOW!
At times TikTokers can go overboard with their absurd challenges. Now, another deadly TikTok challenge called the ‘Dragon’s Breath Snack’ has gone viral. A street snack with liquid nitrogen has sparked concerns as reports suggest that at least 20 children in Indonesia have suffered serious injuries. The children were reported to have been suffering from stomach burns and food poisoning after consuming a snack. 

The latest development comes in the light of a viral TikTok trend that involves filming themselves and having the snack and the ‘smoke’ that comes out of your mouth later. Many are sharing the trick to get the perfect lighting and shot for their videos. 

As per the BBC reports, Indonesia is currently warning the people against the consumption of liquid nitrogen after the hospitalization of children. The candies are dipped in liquid nitrogen to create a vapor effect when eaten. The popular snack amongst children is being used to create videos on TikTok and dozens have uploaded clips on the short-form video app showing them blowing the fumes out of their mouths, noses and ears. 

One particular video featuring the preparation of the snack by a street vendor has been viewed close to 10 million times.

The ministry’s director general Maxi Rein Rondonuwu, has issued a statement on the viral trend and kids consuming the deadly snack and said Around 25 children have been hurt consuming the candies, including two who were hospitalized. 

Fortunately, no deaths have been reported as of yet. 

Using liquid nitrogen in food preparation is not illegal. Many top chefs are known to use vapours to create a theatrical effect when serving dishes. It is clear, colourless and odourless, and commonly used in medical settings and as an ingredient to freeze food, reported BBC. 

”Liquid nitrogen is not only dangerous when consumed, but it can also cause severe breathing difficulties from nitrogen fumes that are inhaled over a long time,” Maxi was quoted as saying by BBC.

The first case was reported in July 2022, according to the ministry, when a child from a village in the Ponorogo Regency in East Java suffered cold burns on his skin after eating a snack.

More cases were reported in November and December, including a 4-year-old boy who was admitted to the hospital in the capital Jakarta with severe stomach pain.

Image Source: Instagram
Advertisement